• A concussion is a brain injury.
• All concussions are serious.
• Most concussions occur without loss of consciousness.
• Concussions can occur in any sport or recreation activity.
• Recognition and proper response to concussions when they first occur can help prevent further injury or even death.
A bump, blow, or jolt to the head can cause a concussion, a type of traumatic brain injury (TBI). Concussions can also occur from a blow to the body that causes the head to move rapidly back and forth. Even a "ding," "getting your bell rung," or what seems to be a mild bump or blow to the head can be serious.